FORT BEND COUNTY, TX – Fort Bend County’s Historic Courthouse was officially re-designated as the County Courthouse on Sunday January 19, 2014; the 105th anniversary of its dedication in 1909. County Judge Bob Hebert and County Commissioners James Patterson, Grady Prestage and Andy Meyers were present to pass the resolution of court on this historic day. A short program followed in the rotunda where many Fort Bend County Citizens were present to celebrate the rehabilitation of the building.
County Judge Bob Hebert welcomed everyone to their newly restored courthouse and stated that it is now the home of the County Judge’s Office, the County Attorney’s Office and the Fort Bend Historical Commission. He also announced that Commissioners court will be held on the second floor of the building every 1st, 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month.
Judge Thomas R Culver, III led everyone in the invocation and County Attorney Roy Cordes led the crowd in the US and Texas pledges. The Lamar Consolidated Choir, directed by Sean Saunders, filled the historic halls with songs of patriotism, with a finale of Texas our Texas. Judge Hebert noted most of the furniture and several items such as a horse collar and stretcher, and hand water pump throughout the courthouse donated by the George Foundation.
Attendees were encouraged to stay and tour the courthouse and note the Janey Wessendorff Community Room and the Mamie George Community Room, both located on the first floor in the 1935 addition. Historical Commission Docents were available on every floor to answer questions and give historical information about each area.
The rehabilitation of the Fort Bend County Historic Courthouse began in May of 2011 with a planning grant of $296,362 from the Texas Historical Commission. Bailey Architects served as the architect and contract administrator for this project and Phoenix 1 Restoration and Construction, Ltd, began construction in January of 2013, with Don Brady and the County’s Department of Facilities as the construction manager for the project. The George Foundation funded $2 million of the $5.8 million project and is honored with a plaque in the foyer of the courthouse, which is carefully placed beside the 1981 plaque also noting their generous contribution to the remodel over 30 years prior.
County Judge Bob Hebert
Pictured l to r: Commissioner James Patterson, Commissioner Andy Meyers, Judge Thomas Culver, III, County Judge Bob Hebert, Commissioner Grady Prestage
Lamar Consolidated Varsity Choir
Lane and Vicki Ward with Grandsons Charlie and Drew Bauder Family
**Please visit http://www.fortbendcountynews.info for more information pertaining to local events and updates.**